Thursday, September 30, 2010

Beets, two ways!

The first time we visited the farm, the hubs helped put up the PVC in for the hoop house / greenhouse. What a treat to see it fully finished.  I don't know why I didn't take pictures of the inside plants.  Inside, they are growing celery, bell peppers, eggplant, and kale.
One of the treats of visiting the farm is that we get to taste what's growing. The hubs, his dad and I went out to the fields and dug these up.
I removed the greens from the beet. I save the ones that are in good shape, because they are just as delicious as beets.  I love that you can eat the entire plant!
Rinse the greens really well. I saw some slugs on these goodies.  Ewww.  Then throw it into a skillet and cook it with olive oil, salt and pepper.  If you never had beet greens before, try it.  It's totally wonderful, with a bit of a peppery after kick.
For the beets, I peeled them and cut them into bite size pieces. Drizzle again with olive oil, salt and pepper. With beets, they are so flavorful that you don't need to do much to them to taste good. It's funny, I grew up hating beets. That's because my parents used to serve these up boiled, which I think is the worst way to cook beets. Roast them and I swear you will crave them!
I asked the hubs to take a photo of my hands after all the prepping of the beets. He was wise to say he didn't want to help me with preparing beets. LOL. He said, "I don't want pink hands." It's no wonder they use beets for dye.
The finished product, with baked chicken. Yum, yum and yummy.
Check out more garden to table challenges at Greenish Thumb.

3 comments:

  1. I learned about beet hands in the past!

    BUT they are worth the effort - although I do use disposable gloves now!

    All your beets were missing was some chevre!

    I'm drooling thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beets 2 ways sounds like an iron chef dish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I skipped growing beets this year and do miss eating them fresh. I guess I will just have to find some room again for them in the 2011 garden.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Book Recommendations

ad