Monday, February 27, 2012

Unexpected Blooms

I saw something that literally stopped me in my tracks today.  The daffodil bulbs are blooming in my front yard. It's February 27th and I have blooming bulbs!  What the frak! We are an entire month and 1/2 ahead of schedule from last year's display of blooming daffodils. We've had such a warm winter, where temperatures sometimes went up to the 60s. This is extremely unususal for this time of the year in the Northeast.  This definitely startles me somewhat. I hate to say the words "climate change" or "global warming" because I've gotten into many disagreements with friends about whether climate change actually exists.  However, the fact that spring bulbs are blooming in winter, really kinda scares the beezus out of me.  I would be lying if I said it didn't.  It feels all very abnormal. This time last year, we were dealing with blizzards and this year, it feels like spring is already upon us.  One thing I know for sure, I'm pretty sad that the flowers are already showing off their blooms, what happens when April gets here?  I'm afraid that there will be no bulbs left to show off.  That makes me feel very, very sad.

7 comments:

  1. The weather is just plain crazy this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to the NY Times, we're about 5° above normal for the entire winter for most of the country whereas last year, it was a more normal winter (in terms of temperature). I can only hope this is an apex of some grand cycle. I'd like to have the kinds of winters my parents enjoyed when it was practically a given that the local ponds would freeze over thickly enough for skating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last year my daffodils bloomed on Easter. I don't have any blooming yet, but they are about halfway up and on the way. Meanwhile my snowdrops are already done, and my crocuses are blooming right now - everything way ahead of schedule. I think it's kind of scary too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've never really had a winter. Although I think the temps were above average by only a few degrees. The plant, on the other hand, are in very warm soil near buildings and other heat holding things. It's also been very dry. The sun has been out. Just a northern jet stream pattern. But disconcerting. I saw full bloom daddy's yesterday somewhere in Brooklyn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was daffs. Not daddies, although they may be blooming too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't forget about the tornadoes in 2010 and the earthquake in 2011, weird weather indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, my hyacinths are popping up too! They're practically flowering already. It's disturbing. there's a great story in NYT today about the phenom

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Book Recommendations

ad