Monday, May 12, 2014

Sourdough Starter Monster

6 weeks ago, my co-worker asked me to take care of his sourdough starter while he was out of town. All I needed to do was to feed the starter every 2 weeks. In the instructions, it said that you take out a half cup of starter and add back a half cup of flour and half cup of water. The half cup of starter that you take out, you can either make something with it like bread, pancakes, waffles etc, or you throw it out.
I haven't had time to bake bread or make pancakes, so I've been taking the starter that is supposed to be used or discarded and feeding that half too. So fast forward 4 weeks, and what was one jar of starter is now 4 jars of starter. I can't bring myself to throwing the extra starters away, so I keep feeding it and they keep multiplying! I have to make pancakes this week with it because this is getting a little out of control! I should start giving some away too! This is not the first time this has happened to me. I once had sourdough starter that multiplied like crazy. I've written about it here.
This week I should also try to make sourdough bread. It's very good right out of the oven. I can't wait!



2 comments:

  1. Is this that "friendship bread" starter? Or something else? I think my sister froze the friendship bread starter once and used it later. It worked out just fine.

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Book Recommendations

ad